Trainings off-the-track – One reason why calls from SBI may ‘Chafe’

I never get irritated when the phone rings. Even when people try to pester selling products over the phone, I sometimes, take delight to talk to them. However, recently one call started annoying me at my office desk. I have changed the name of character involved in my narration.

“Am I talking to Amir Abraham?” became a constant inquiry everyday. Initially, I tried to look for the person in question on the company intranet. However, Amir was always offline. The caller wanted to reach the Amir as his SBI credit card dues were not paid on time. One fine day when I got the call I found Amir online. I started to chat with him on the online communicator while on the call. I got Amir’s mobile number and desk number and passed on the information to the caller asking him to contact him directly.

The next day however the question was repeated, “Am I talking to Amir Abraham?” Every call from SBI would come from some new guy. So I checked with him if he had the new numbers updated the day before. To my surprise they had it, but they were unable to reach Amir. So I tried to transfer the call. However, I discovered that external calls are barred from being transferred. Amir was at a different location so I could not go or call him to his/my seat.

On a separate call I learnt that Amir was away for sometime on an international assignment. On return he had got calls from many other banks and had cleared of his dues including that of SBI. Somehow only the SBI people were unable to reach him on his phone numbers. Amir informed me that there was some delay for the transaction to reflect on the call center guy’s screen, and hence we expected not to receive the calls in a few days time. However, the calls didn't stop.

One day on receiving the call from SBI credit card department. I got angry (something very rare in me) and asked them why they could not make a simple note that the person they are looking for is no more available on the number they are calling – which now is unfortunately mine. However, the call came again next day onward and as usual it was a new voice at the other end.

I started dropping the calls as soon as I heard SBI from the caller as it was no use talking to them. However, a solution was not reached and I did not like to keep getting the call. I calmed down and made another attempt. “Why don’t you make note that this number no longer belongs to the person they are looking for.” This guy seemed smart. He answered “We do not change a customers contact details until we receive a notification from him or her directly”. I saw a solution to help myself get rid of the problem. I thanked him.

Amir seems to have updated the information with the bank as soon as I conveyed the message to him. He was already embarrassed since I a stranger colleague for him was unnecessarily being troubled and that too for reasons that could tarnish his image.

I may not be assuming things when I think that the call center guys of any organization get training for their job. However, the training seems off the track. I kept getting the calls for nearly one and a half month and at times two calls a day. Rather than making hundreds of calls if these guys are trained to sort out issues in two or three calls – getting and giving all information they require communicating to the intended person, can save call cost and avoid frustration for all the parties involved.  I guess the managers training these guys should be held responsible for not getting the job done quickly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Car Key Battery Replacement

Atheism Concepts Change with Geographic Location

The Con and the Conch shell