My second Trip to Chennai this Year


My previous blog on ‘Babu - The Auto Driver in Chennai’ brought to you proof of how God turns apparently bad situations into one that turns out to be a blessing. Did God bless me on my second trip? I will be honest and not hasten to give a testimony that sounds affirmative. I enquired on the way with co-travelers on the bus and landed at where I had to. A college guy on the bus who had overheard my conversations checked with me if I would like to join him one the journey further for we were headed towards the same direction. His idea was to split the taxi/autorickshaw expenses. There was nothing suspicious with the situations or the expressions of the guy and I could probably manage him if he created a situation and so I affirmed that we would go together.

 

He pulled out his mobile and checked for the cheapest plan. That was when I learnt ‘OLA’ had so many features and not just the defaults that I had tried on my last trip as a first-time user with my fast discharging mobile. However, that did not seem to help and so we bargained zeroed in a Rs. 5 more expensive autorickshaw ride. It was interesting to see the mind of a street-smart youngster work after a long time. Campus recruited IT employees with whom life had got surrounded did not seem to exhibit that kind of a skillset, though it could also have been a case of a family man living in ignorance of such lives.

 

The shared autorickshaw drive was an opportunity to probe into the life of a perfect stranger. The skilled Tamil speaker who had did most of the bargaining for the autorickshaw ride turned out to be a Malayali, who was doing his engineering in Chennai. The guy was born and brought up in Saudi and did not speak his mother tongue as fluently as the language he had learnt during his engineering study in a land strange for him when he had joined college. More probing, and he turned out to be a native of town close to my village, just 13 kilometers away to be exact. That made me ask him of his family name and in return I had to reveal mine.

 

It wasn’t unusual for me or my brother(s) (if cousins are to be included) to experience perfect stranger feel a ring in their heads when they hear our family name. Nonetheless, each experience bewilders us every time and so it did when this random internationally bred guy who had overheard my conversation on a bus journey and proposed to share a ride with me, now had bells ringing in his head when he heard my family name. He recollected the name of the guy he knew from the family and wanted to know if I knew him too. The name he was excited about sounded familiar. But now when I say family here I am referring to a large extended family that comprise not just second or third cousins but also the second and third cousins of my father’s and their children or grandchildren. Nonetheless, the name was so familiar I had to rack my brain with information in the WhatsApp group of our ‘that family’ (I had solved the issue with my rapidly discharging phone – How? There’s a blog on that too! J). It hardly took me a minute to pick the guy out from the group and we both could stare at his picture and recognize. My internationally bred stranger was now known to me as Justin, a nephew of a second cousin of my father.

 

Justin took on the role of a local guide and lead my way to an accommodation that best suited my need and my pocket. I thanked him and allowed him to move on only to realize a little later that I could have at least paid the autorickshaw bill myself and not made the college guy to spilt the bill. In such a short journey, he had become a distant relative well within the 7 generations of relatives that the bible considers as distant enough for not being fit for a marriage to a family member. Well God would take care of him and he would take care of me too.

 
I lost the business deal that I was anticipating grabbing in Chennai. The deal that I had in my last travel had almost thought was mine. Nonetheless, I have no qualms about having lost it though my circumstances and my finance remain uncertain at the moment. You may however, expect to read another blog or novel on why I spent so much to travel to the city and lose the deal and not worry about my finances that now depends on borrowings. I have survived so far to give many testimonies and I believe I would be around to give a lot more of the God that I trust in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Car Key Battery Replacement

Atheism Concepts Change with Geographic Location

The Con and the Conch shell